Cotobato City Mindanao


CotobatoCotabato City had witnessed more history than any other place in Mindanao. Its history dates back to the 15th century when Shariff Kabunsuan, an Arab missionary, landed along the banks of the Rio Grande de Mindanao and introduced Islam to the natives. Islam was the faith that moved the early settlers to communal life, and to establish the Sultanate of Maguindanao with its golden age ushered in by Sultan Dipatuan Qudarat during the 17th century the time when Cotabato City developed as the capital town of Maguindanao.

In the nineteenth century, when Sultan Makakua ruled, roads and wharfs were constructed which gave rise to the birth of modern day Cotabato. However, the then Municipality of Cotabato was first organized at the later part of the 19th century when the Spaniards established a military post at Barangay Tamontaka, one of the earliest Christian settlements.

Christianity was introduced in 1870 in the area. Almost a century later it became a city on July 10, 1959. During that time it was the capital of the undivided province of Cotabato.
Cotobato

 

TOURIST ATTRACTIONS

Rio Grande de Mindanao. The second largest river in the Philippines and the longest in Mindanao crisscrossing, with its tributary, the city's vast area. Estimated to be 182 kilometers long and 96 meters wide. Water sports and boat racing are the popular attractions of the river, usually held to coincide with the Shariff Kabunsuan Festival and the Feast of Hariraya Puasa.

Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Masjid – The largest mosque in the Philippines

Cotobato2
Tamontaka Church – Built in 1872 of Spanish architecture and design. It is the oldest church in the city, a relic of the living past.

Lourdes Grotto – A replica of Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto in France. The compound is equipped with a retreat house for recollection and seminars, a mini zoo and a children's park.

Kutang Bato Caves – The only cave in the country that is right in the heart of the city. Its various entrances, all within traffic a rarity that can only be had in the "Heart of Mindanao". These caves were also the source of the city's present name for "Kuta" means "Fort" and "Bato" means "Stone" hence the name "Fort of Stone" which later on became Cotabato.

Old Cotabato City Hall – A century old structure which houses almost all of the city government offices. It showcases the architectural design of the Maguindanaon Art.

Takumi Butai Memorial Shrine – A monument in honor of Takumi Butai and the Japanese soldiers who died here during the Second World War. Takumi was the Provincial Commander of the Japanese forces assigned in Cotabato City. Before he died, he requested that some of his ashes be buried in Cotabato City. This shrine was put up by the Lion's Club of Kyoto, Japan in cooperation with the City Government of Cotabato.

 

MALLS AROUND THE CITY

South Seas Mall Cotabato - the first shopping mall in the city.


Bottom Small


Latest News

30 September 2018
30 August 2018
17 April 2018

© 2011 - 2017 Mindanao Tourism Philippines